Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Best and Worst of Traveling


The view from my hostel in Cusco to the local train station. I was on the edge of my seat, 
nervous that the tardy taxi would cause me to miss the departure. Miraculously,
I had 30 seconds to spare, and was the last passenger to sit down.

****

I was probably the only Westerner on that train. It’s not like I didn’t see it coming: the green boarding pass the tour company provided only bore non-translated Cyrillic script, excluding my English name that seemed to be squished between the random sequence of backwards Rs and Ks. I can’t say it didn’t make sense, given I was traveling domestically in what was once part of the Soviet Union. I knew when I purchased the ticket through an online travel agency the month prior that I was supposed to depart sometime that night and arrive sometime the next day.

Inside the station, none of the rapidly-changing timetables were in English, and my requests for help were met with equally-lost facial expressions. Looking above, the tall and intimidating nineteenth-century architecture seemed to stretch into the dark winter sky, and looking forward, the intersecting escalators and staircases under indiscernible info boards only added to my confusion. It was when I finally stood still in that bustling central terminal, with my heavy suitcase and camera in one hand and little green ticket in the other, that I truly felt lost. And the clock was ticking.  

****

My next train experience, one year later, was much more organized. Even after climbing aboard at the eleventh hour – thanks to a pre-arranged taxi that never arrived – I felt much more at ease. Unlike before, nearly everyone spoke English, including the PA announcer, whose translation I liked to think I didn’t need given the previous year I had spent in Cuba. The on-board services – drinks, snacks, and a clean unisex bathroom – was a world of difference from the Cold War-era caboose I was on before. There was much more to see out the window, anyway: the autumn sun glistened off the babbling brooks below, and the lush green trees seemed to paint the towering Andean mountain peaks that flanked our skinny rail track. We couldn’t see other people, villages or roads on the four-hour trip to Aguas Calientes; the only way to traverse the rugged, diverse terrain is by foot or train. I sat down in my cushioned seat, and did what I couldn’t do before: share and laugh with my fellow passengers, and enjoy the ride.


Sometimes, the ride is just as fun as the destination. Machu Picchu, Peru. 

****

My saving grace in that cold train station nearly two years ago came in dark-rimmed glasses and long blonde hair. I don’t remember her name, but I am certain she could see my relief when I heard her answer to the defeated question I had already asked too many times to too many people: “English?” She was about my age, enjoying a break from school, and was traveling to visit her family in a city not far from Kiev. She happily, calmly, walked me to my train, which had already begun taking passengers. We parted ways before I could truly express my appreciation for her kindness, which I could have used more of throughout my impending overnight (and sleepless) adventure.

Looking back, I am grateful I took that 16-hour train ride. It was one of those trips that make you appreciate all of your future experiences on public transportation, no matter how much you hear those around you complain. The four-person booth I was assigned to sleep in resembled more of a tight, walk-in closet than actual sleeping quarters. In fact, it wasn’t really adequate to even hold just the luggage of all four occupants. The stiff double-stacked beds, hardly wider than an ironing board, proved tough to stay in in the bouncing metal car. Not that anyone would want to sleep in them, anyway: my curled legs would have extended well beyond the length of it, if it wasn’t closed in on three sides by thin steel dividers. The heater, dialed on suffocatingly high, replaced the desire of a blanket for the brisk air that teased us through the small windows. The all-silver restroom down the hall, soaked in a mysterious layer of water that sparkled with the moonlight, lacked soap and toilet paper. If the collective hot B.O. from so many squished people didn’t already make me irritable, one of my three roommates certainly did.

He was very nice at first. He opened big bags of chips and snacks for all of us that would occasionally fall from the small center table and sprinkle my luggage underneath. Slightly overweight, gregarious and full of smiles, this middle-aged Ukrainian man for whatever reason decided to pursue a friendship with me, the lone American in the group. He offered me a tall, cold bottle of beer he brought aboard that I couldn’t refuse, and we communicated through a twelve-year-old boy that came in from the hallway to translate for us. Unfortunately, it didn’t take long for things to get weird. He handled me a scribbled e-mail address and kept insisting that I marry his fifteen-year-old daughter, living God-knows-where in Ukraine, and kept opening me more bottles. After two drinks, and a few friendly declines for more, he took my refusals as disrespectful. He quickly became red and agitated, undoubtedly intoxicated from his impressive stash. He made his disapproval known, and my trip worse, by opening yet another bottle, shaking it, and spraying me with the beer. The clothes I had worn that day exploring Kiev, the same ones I would be sleeping in that night and be wearing for half the next day, were now covered in sticky booze. I was furious, with the heat and the noise and the bumps and the lack of space, and opted for some alone time in the quiet hallway to breathe. The slightly cracked-open windows certainly helped. When I returned, he was snoring, finally asleep, and no longer rambling in Ukrainian.

Sometimes, it does take bad experiences to make us appreciate future situations. Airplanes are a joy for me now – I always know that there is a restroom in which I can sit down, a personal air conditioner I can direct on my face, and a cushioned seat I can lean back in. Check-in, security inspections, delays, and cancelled flights don’t bother me, since every international airport I’ve been to has had English translations and personal space, even if it is on a tile floor in the corner of a waiting room.


Sevastopol, Crimea. I'm happy to say I got to spend a long weekend on the peninsula
before it was annexed by Russia, but it came at a price. Being optimistic, the 
less-than-comfortable train ride to get there has made every trip I've taken 
since incredibly joyful.


One of the best parts of traveling is earning those precious passport stamps.
Overlooking the city of Cusco, Peru, from my hostel's balcony.

At the end of the day, it is the people you meet along the way that can truly make or break your experience. A smile and simple directions from a stranger, or even a warm conversation with a fellow traveler, can make all the difference. My train rides from Cusco to Aguas Calientes and back were entertaining and fulfilling, largely thanks to the kind people that sat around me. In the outward trip, I was surrounded by three young ladies – all friends traveling together from the States – who were engaging and entertaining through their stories of growing up in the Philippines and traveling to other places together. On the return trip, I was again flanked by three women, this time all in their 60s, traveling with a photo adventure group. We shared white wine, delicious food, and hearty laughs over the silly stories of the struggles we had trying conquer the same mountain – Machu Picchu – now memories that we will carry with us for the rest of our lives. 



While I tribute my experience in the overnighter Soviet train from Kiev to Crimea (weeks before the annexation) to enriching the travel adventures that followed, it was the kindness from those I met along the way – the girl at the station that took time to help a stranger in need and the boy on the train that shared my interest in video games – that remind me even the worst situations are opportunities for memories I can smile upon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment