Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A letter to Josh

Josh starts the 54-hour Crucible today; here’s a letter I sent to him last week:

Sept. 29, 2010 (T-56)

Hi Josh,

It was great to hear your voice yesterday. I am so glad you called, and I'm really looking forward to seeing you on Oct. 14 – but you already knew that.

There's only one major hurdle left between you and your dream: the Crucible. From the sound of your voice, I can tell you are ready to tackle it. Definitely keep that confidence going into it. I am 100 percent sure that you will succeed.

When you were born 18 years ago, I didn't know where your life would lead. None of us know God’s plan. I prayed that whatever path you chose, He would guide you in the right direction and watch over you. That prayer continues to be answered every day.

You have worked hard to achieve your dream – particularly over the last 11 weeks. On Oct. 7, after you complete the Crucible, take some time to reflect on all that you have accomplished. You will have earned that right. There will be other dreams to go after tomorrow.

On your last days as a civilian, there’s one last thing I want you to know: I am extremely proud of the man that you are and the Marine that you will become.

Love, Dad
(your No. 1 fan)

No comments:

Post a Comment