Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Last Day

Wow. Today was my last full day as a civilian. This week has been great! Let me try to recap:

Earlier in the week, I met up with a couple aunts and cousins from my mom's side of the family for lunch. Later in the week, I went out to a fancy Italian restaurant with my Nana (they even had a piano player!). Today I met for dinner at In-N-Out with some members from my dad's side of the family. To be treated to 3 meals in a week was truly an honor. It means SO much to me to be invited out to eat to see my family one last time. I'm no psychic, but I know that aside from God, family will be the biggest motivator when I'm broken down at recruit training. Family, thank you for the support. There are so many people that have gone through training without encouragement from their family. To have all of you supporting me is quite humbling!

Thursday morning, my Dad and I left for Las Vegas, Nevada, to spend some last quality father-son time together for the next quarter-year. Before we left southern California, we stopped by at my Uncle's work to not only see what he does, but mainly, for him to introduce me to his co-worker -- a former Marine and Vietnam veteran. Speaking to him was such an honor! He spent 22 years in the Corps, and hearing what he had to say about his experiences was so motivating, it reminded me why I chose the Marines. The USMC is unlike any other branch...the bond Marines share are extremely unique to their service. What I thought was funny was he mentioned that when he was in, he remembers Marines saying, "Oh, the Corps is not what it was back in the day. It was better back then." He said that even though the drill instructors today don't beat recruits, they are still making quality U.S. Marines that honorably continue what was started on November 10, 1775. He thought that boot camp is physically harder now, and the Crucible, which was started in the '90s, is a great add. Another thing he added was that when he went to a recent boot camp graduation (for someone in his family), he STILL saw the same pride and commitment that he saw from Marines during the Vietnam era. He said that he wished he was going to boot camp on Sunday!

At Las Vegas, my dad and I saw Frank Caliendo at the Monte Carlo -- my first time seeing a comedian! He was great! Unfortunately, I already heard a lot of his jokes when I looked him up on YouTube. Nonetheless, the new jokes I heard were pretty funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivk_uTW9Nao

Let me get this out there: I'm a huge fan of the show "Pawn Stars" on History Channel. If you don't know what it is, definitely check it out. We were able to visit their shop! The only bad part was the we couldn't meet the main people from the show...however, we did see some items that we saw on TV! It so SO COOL being at a store that we've seen on TV for so long!


Truth be told, the best part was just being able to talk to my Dad. I can't think of a better role model as a father. I hope I can be as good as a dad as he is!

Anyway, it is almost 10:30pm here, and I head to church tomorrow bright and early (it starts at 9:30am). I have to report at my recruiter's office by 1pm. After that, I'm headed to a hotel, where I will spend the night. On Monday, July 19th, I will be waking up at about 3:30 in the morning to start the day. I will be going to MEPS to finalize some paper work and medical things before I go to MCRD. I don't know if I will have time to do one last post before I go (as I should clean my room some). This could be my last post as a civilian. If not, then my last one will be tomorrow.

I've spent the past year physically and mentally preparing for recruit training. My final Initial Strength Test scores from the Delayed Entry Program are as follows:
  • 10:31 mile and a half (11:30 is the minimum)
  • 76 crunches (I think 45 is the minimum...I don't know because I aim for a perfect score)
  • 10 pull-ups (3 is the minimum, 20 is perfect.)
I've also completely memorized the 11 General Orders, 14 Leadership Traits, and rank structure. 


PLEASE pray for me. The power of prayer is, well, very powerful. Please pray that I'm able to safely graduate on time, and without problems. I know that what does happen, however, will be God's Will. 

Well, I'm about to take my last shower at home, and sleep in my bed for the last time (until October). I need to get some sleep ASAP! Adios!

P.S.: I told my friend I would give her a shoutout on here, so I'm going to do it now. Hi Sam Millare!

No comments:

Post a Comment