Saturday, July 10, 2010

Only One Week Left

Woo! I just got back from spending a few nights at one of my best friend's (Eric) house. All we did was eat, sleep, talk, watch TV and play video games. (We literally watched the entire first season of Dexter in less than 24 hours. Crazy. It is horrific to watch at first, but it gets pretty good.) It's nice to be able to waste an entire day doing nothing but relaxing, but I'm really getting bored of it. All summer my life hasn't been exciting at all...and really, it doesn't need to be. I know as soon as I hit the yellow footprints, I'll be wishing I had time to relax again. But for now, I'm sick and tired of waiting -- I want to be a Marine already!

Being in the Delayed Entry Program, it is my job to go to the weekly physical training (PT) sessions at my recruiter's office. We work out a lot, that's for sure, but we also go over some good knowledge stuff. (Like what Honor, Courage, and Commitment, the Corps' core values, really mean. We also look at the heroic actions of certain Marines.) Anyway, this past Wednesday was my final PT session (I've been advised to relax the last week to be safe, and enjoy being a civilian. It would be a shame to hurt myself right before I go, which easily could have happened this past week). Boy, will I remember my final PT session as a Poolee for awhile...at least until the 19th.

 

It began with a representative from the University of Phoenix talking to us about his school. I'm definitely planning on going there. It is among the largest and most accredited online universities, with 1/2 a million graduates and just as many currently enrolled. Since I'll be in the service, I can go there for free! I'm definitely planning on getting my AA degree there.

After that presentation, the fun began. A drill instructor was there. We ran a lot, did 400 push-ups (I counted), and a ton of ab workouts. We also did a mock CFT (Combat Fitness Test), where we had to sprint carrying two 30 lb ammo cans, perform elongated low crawls, and two types of fireman carries. The day ended with wrestling and a run back to the office.




Even though my whole body hurt for a few days, I really had a lot of fun. If I'm this satisfied after a PT session, I can't imagine what it must be like to be a Marine. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment