Sunday, July 4, 2010

Why I Joined the Marines

Ever since 7th grade, I knew I wanted to serve in the United States military. I guess you could say I was your typical adolescent boy -- I loved (and still do!) military-themed TV shows, movies, books, and video games. But of course, real life is quite different from what is portrayed in the media. As I've gotten older and met more people, it has become much easier for me to answer the question, "Why did you join the Marines?" There are a few reasons:

  1.  I want to be like those I admire. I've always loved my family. Truly, I could not be more grateful. But one thing I was always interested in was my grandpa's stories from the Korean War. You see, he was drafted in the U.S. Army to serve as an artilleryman overseas. After two long years and earning the rank of Sergeant, my grandpa was honorably discharged and lived the rest of his life to the fullest by being a loving friend to everyone. Now it was not my grandpa's military service that defined him; instead, it was the way I saw him humbly serve his family at home. I joined the Marines because I was always interested in his exciting stories...maybe one day, I will have something exciting to tell my grandchildren. 
    • Throughout my life, I've met many people who have also served. There is something special -- something intangible -- that they all have in common. I saw that something in the way they talked to me, the way they put others first in their actions, and they way they treated others with respect. They also seemed disciplined, focused, and thankful for what they had -- traits that can only be learned through life experiences, not a textbook. One of these people was my private teacher -- Jim. His job was to meet me every week to help me get better at the saxophone. (This went on for four years, from 5th-8th grade.) Again, I saw something intangible that I wanted.
  1. I want to do what I love. I've heard that if you do what you love, you will never have to work a day in your life. I've always been interested in the military: the history of battles, the meaning of the uniform, and the way of life. I also love music. The way I see it, being a military musician would be the perfect fit.
  2. I want to serve my country. Can you believe it? The current war in Afghanistan has been the longest war in American history. Yep, that's right, longer than the war that declared our independence from England, longer than World War II, and now, longer than the Vietnam War. During World War II, the NATION was at war -- men were drafted, and those on the home front contributed to the war machine by recycling materials such as plastics, metal, and rubber to build whatever was needed to help the Allies. Women worked in factories, making anything from ammunition to uniforms to vehicles. What I'm trying to say is that in the past, America was at war. Today, America is not at war. America is at the mall. All to often, our military is frowned upon....Herbert Hoover once said, "Older men declare war, but it is the youth that must fight and die." Ant-war groups (such as Code Pink and Westboro) protest at recruiting stations and military funerals because they believe our service members choose to go to war. They waste their time and accomplish nothing. Don't they realize that they should protest against Congress? I believe the majority of those in the service do their job honorably and to the best of their ability, but in the end, they are only doing what our elected officials ask of them. After September 11th, 2001, our troops were sent to the Middle East to circumvent the spread of terrorism. No one wants war. But sometimes war is necessary to defend freedom...we sometimes forget that all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
  3. Benefits. This is hardly worth listing, because no one with their priorities straight should join the military -- especially during a time of war -- for what they can merely receive in return. I'm not joining for free college, housing, dental or medical care, or for the $10,000 enlistment bonus for being a musician. I'm joining to better the country. But what is ironic is that I'm getting a lot in return, and, dare I say it, I think I'm getting the better end of the deal. I get the satisfaction of contributing to making the world a safer place. I believe in my heart, mind, and soul that the value of one's life is not in what they have accomplished, or even how much money they earned. I believe that the value of one's life is by how they lived in the service of others. But the military isn't the only way do to this. Who the hell cares what you accomplished in life, if it wasn't for the benefit of another human being? I'm not perfect, but I certainly hope that I can somehow make this world a better place, especially by being a Marine. What's awesome is that you don't have to join the Marines to make the world a better place; just try to put others first. Remember the movie "Pay It Forward"? Do something nice for someone, even if it is just as simple as asking how their day has been to show that they are important. Ronald Reagan once said, "I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will always eventually triumph, and there is purpose and worth to each and every life."
Again, thanks for reading my blog...it truly means a lot to me.

Since it is 4th of July, please enjoy your awesome day...enjoy the fireworks, BBQ, and hot dogs. Just remember that there are men and women -- just like you and I with wants, aspirations, hobbies, and friends -- that fought and gave their lives so that we could be, well, independent, from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Enjoy this video I made last year to remember our heroes.


    3 comments:

    1. I really enjoyed this post, I think when you graduate Boot camp you will make a great Marine and you're already a great American. Kepp the spirit that you have for America and humanity, your words have made paid it forward to me today.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love your blog and think its really interesting.Was there anything special you had to do to join the Marines? Also, I am not a physically "fit" person but really want to enlist and serve my country, are there any goals you recommend?

      ReplyDelete
    3. Reading your story is my favorite. I do really enjoys your post bec i love to know more about how to become a Marine. Thank you so much for your effort Josh.

      ReplyDelete