Sunday, July 18, 2010

Now it's for real

Today, Josh moved one step closer to his dream: becoming a Marine and, in less than a year from now, a musician with the 1st Marine Division Band at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

He reported to the Temecula recruiting station a little before 1 p.m., along with several other poolees who are headed to boot camp along with Josh. At this time, there’s no way of knowing whether they will belong to the same platoon, but this much is certain: they all will arrive at MCRD San Diego and become members of Echo Company.

Here’s a photo of Josh in front of the recruiting station. In three months, I plan to post another photo of him standing in the same spot. We’ll see how much he changes.

Staff Sgt. Lee, a recruiter, talked about some of the things that the poolees have in store. They will be staying tonight at a San Diego hotel. The wake-up call comes early, at 4 a.m. They will travel to the US Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS), where several hours later they will raise their right hands and take the oath: I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same and that I will obey the orders of the president of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice, so help me God.

Josh already has taken that oath once before, on Oct. 1, 2009, when he entered the Delayed Entry Program. He posted a video of that brief swearing-in elsewhere on this blog. His swearing-in on Monday, July 19, 2010, will appear much the same but it carries greater weight. After this one, he heads off for boot camp.

I talked with Josh today for what should be the last time until I see him again on the day before his graduation in October. I’m sad at the prospect of not being able to sit and chat with him about the day’s events and all that’s going on in his life. But I consider it a very small price to pay, because this is the start of a tremendous opportunity for him – and I want the absolute best for my son. What father wouldn’t?

When I talked with Josh, he shared some of his thoughts about going to boot camp: “I’ve talked to so many people about it, seen so many movies and documentaries and read so many books on it, I kind of know what to expect. Now it’s finally going to be happening to me. I’m really excited to do it.”

Godspeed, Josh Rice.

1 comment:

  1. Good Stuff. Just wanted to share my Marine Corps blog with you all as well.

    http://www.kevinwebb22.com/

    Semper Fi!

    ReplyDelete